Call for Nominations/Self-Nominations: Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
Reporting to the Dean, the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs works closely with college and university leadership, and with faculty to formulate, implement, and assess strategies for the continuous growth and success of faculty within the College of Fine Arts. This half-time (.5 FTE) position oversees efforts that ensure optimal outcomes for all tenure-related and career-track faculty in the college. They serve as a resource for faculty across their entire professional lifecycle, from the hiring process to retirement. Administrative support will be provided, as possible, by Dean’s Office staff, including the Executive Assistant to the Dean, the Business Office staff, and the Arizona Arts Human Resources Manager.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Defining, implementing, and overseeing college-level faculty policies and procedures, in alignment with university and ABOR policies.
- Overseeing and supporting faculty review processes, including annual performance reviews, third-year reviews, and promotion & tenure reviews.
- Serving as a resource, liaison, and advocate for faculty at all career stages.
- Defining, supporting, and promoting inclusive and equitable faculty practices.
- Working in concert with other administrators and offices, at the college and university level, to resolve faculty personnel issues and concerns as they arise.
- Fostering a culture of appreciation and recognition for faculty within the college and the university.
- Ensuring the implementation and application of best practices for faculty hiring and retention.
- Overseeing sabbatical reviews and sabbatical report surveys.
- Implementing effective college onboarding and supporting mentoring programs, as well as 1-1 consultations with faculty on an ad-hoc basis.
- Identifying and communicating professional development opportunities.
- Working collaboratively with CFA and Arizona Arts leadership to define and meet college and division strategic objectives.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Important note: It is understood that the next Associate Dean may have extensive experience in some domains listed above, and limited or no experience in others. To that end, the current Associate Dean will provide limited-term onboarding support once the appointment is made, and college leadership will work with the new Associate Dean to ensure they have the training and resources needed to gain the expertise necessary to succeed in all aspects of the position. Committee responsibilities include:
- Liaison to the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs, including regular meetings with Vice-Provost for Faculty Affairs and Faculty Affairs leads from across campus.
- Arizona Arts Leadership Team.
- CFA Academic Leadership Team.
- CFA Associate Deans Team.
- Chair: Honors & Awards Committee.
- Co-chair: CFA Faculty Advisory Committee.
- A tenured appointment at the rank of associate or full professor within the College of Fine Arts.
- A demonstrated passion for, commitment to, and ability to advocate for the work of faculty and the centrality of that work to the mission of the college and university.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A commitment to equity-minded practices as demonstrated through past or ongoing
- contributions that further diversity, access and equal opportunity.
- The ability to work effectively with a range of constituencies, including faculty, staff,
- school directors, and college and university leaders and administrators.
- Attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to successfully manage complex projects.
- Trustworthiness and comfort working with confidential information.
- Previous experience with academic administration or leadership at the program, unit, or college level.
If you might be interested in serving in this capacity, or would like to nominate a colleague, please send a brief nomination statement to Tracy Wynn (email@example.com) by the close of business on Friday, April 23. We will then contact nominees to request additional materials with the intention of making an appointment in early May.